Friday, August 22, 2014

"The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" and "Agnes Grey" by Anne Bronte

I have just finished "Agnes Grey" by Anne Bronte, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a quiet unpretentious story about a very ordinary young woman and her somewhat ordinary life. I loved the simple, straightforward style of Bronte's writing, all the sentences as smooth and clear as glass, which gave me the feeling I was looking through a clear window into the lives of the characters (always good feeling when reading). 

Before that, I read "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by the same author, and again, it was a pleasant reading  experience, mostly because the pictures she painted were clear, unconfusing, and unpretentious. It's a wilder story than "Agnes", with ridiculously reckless men and mindless women, but still, the sentences are graceful and lucid, making each page a pleasure to read. 

Anne Bronte has now become one my favorite authors!


No comments:

Post a Comment