Friday, October 23, 2015

"Lorna Doone"

I have been reading R. D. Blackmore's Lorna Doone for several months now, and am thoroughly enjoying it. Cia and I started reading it as preparation for our trip to Somerset in the UK, the place where the novel is set -- and we both fell in love with it pretty quickly. We finished about half of it before the trip, and it was great fun to visit places in England that are prominently mentioned in the novel. We felt like we were walking in Blackmore's and John Ridd's footsteps. 

We especially love the detailed and perfectly lovely descriptions of the countryside. Blackmore was truly a master at painting pictures with words, and I cam across a few more in my reading today. (Actually, I listened to a few chapters this morning as I took my walk. We are lucky to have found a recorded reading of the novel, performed by an outstanding reader.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment