Saturday, April 5, 2014

"The Professor" by Charlotte Bronte

Yesterday I finished “The Professor” by Charlotte Bronte. There were times, early in the reading, when I was dismayed by the empty-headedness of some of the characters, and by the seeming tediousness of the story line. However, fortunately for me, I made a small commitment to stay with the book, and slowly the story started to blossom, chapter by chapter. Bronte’s writing – her graceful sentence structure, especially – was elegant almost from start to finish, and soon the characters starting seeming like people I could study and come to admire. The descriptions, both of the natural world and of the characters, grew better, it seemed, as I turned the pages. And her sentence structure, as I said, was so stylish. I made numerous highlights of sentences containing very pleasing examples of parallelism. Obviously, I am glad I didn’t give up on this somewhat forgotten but nonetheless impressive novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment